FasterCures, a Washington, DC-based center of the Milken Institute, is a globally focused, publicly supported, non-partisan and nonprofit think tank, whose mission is to disrupt the bottlenecks that slow treatment and cures that patients want and need. The Milken Institute’s mission is to increase global prosperity by advancing collaborative solutions that widen access to capital, create jobs and improve health.
The Director is primarily responsible for supporting the mission of FasterCures by serving as a leader with a proven track record in advancing the role of patients and patient organizations to catalyze the biomedical system – from basic science to bedside - be more patient-centered. Areas of specific programmatic focus include the role of patients in product development, patient interaction with their health data, and the role patient and patient organizations as research partners.
This position requires an ability to manage a portfolio of programs and projects consistent with our areas of focus within the organization. The role includes representing FasterCures at conferences and meetings and supporting events programming. The Director works with internal staff to bring FasterCures’ programs to targeted external audiences and building communities around our areas of focus to move from ideas to implementation.
- Lead and execute patient engagement workstreams with particular expertise in medical research and product development
- Develop project-specific work products including white papers, blogposts, research summaries, grant applications/reports, and promotional materials to enable organizations to take action
- Work with and expand FasterCures’ stakeholder network with particular focus on embedding the patient voice within the biomedical innovation ecosystem
- Manage competing priorities, and overseeing the work of team members at all levels
- Deliver high-quality, relevant and timely work
- Represent FasterCures at conferences, meetings, workshops; often with presentation or speaking role
- Contribute to overall FasterCures activities – events, programmatic work, etc.
- Maintain and grow partnerships with key external organizations, advisors, and Senior Fellows
- Manage and contribute to the professional development of direct and indirect reports, with responsibility for staff supervision and development;
- Support overall development efforts and partner with development in specific programmatic area
Strong public profile as a patient/consumer leader
Master’s degree preferred
7-10 years’ experience in biomedical research and product development and patient engagement in health
Recognized for thought leadership by policymakers and key stakeholders with particular expertise in medical research, product development, and patient-engagement. Understanding of the policy environment related to these issues.
Ability to prioritize multiple work streams and in the management of project teams
Ability to facilitate and coordinate diverse individuals to solve specific problems
Ability to be flexible and quickly take on new program areas and adapt to external environment
Ability to engage external audiences and stakeholders, and skilled at program development and execution
Comfortable with public speaking, either in small meeting setting or for large audiences
Availability for overnight travel approximately 3-5 times per year.
Working Conditions & Travel Requirements
This position will work in a professional office environment. This person will also be required to travel occasionally to other offices and/or venues to assist with events as needed, requiring occasional work outside of traditional hours. International along with domestic travel is possible.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
To apply, please submit your information and upload your cover letter and resume all applications materials should be attached as PDF files. Any application that does not include both a cover letter and a resume saved as PDFs will be rejected.