Associate Director, Communications
The Center for Public Health (CPH) is a Washington, DC-based center of the Milken Institute, a non-profit, nonpartisan think tank determined to increase global prosperity by advancing collaborative solutions that widen access to capital, create jobs, and improve health. CPH focuses on four areas of public health: (1) food, nutrition, and sustainability, (2) chronic disease prevention and treatment, (3) mental health and wellness, and (4) health emergencies and preparedness. CPH promotes understanding of leading public health issues such as the opioid epidemic, the changing food system, and rising rates of obesity and diabetes and develops innovative, market-based solutions. More specifically, we do this through independent, data-driven research, action-oriented meetings, and meaningful programs and policy work.
The Milken Institute Center for Public Healthis looking for a talented professional to lead communications and marketing efforts in order to elevate the profile of CPH within its target market of industry, research performing institutions, schools of public health, policy and advocacy, philanthropy, investors, government and the media to inspire those audiences to take action to improve public health for all populations. The Associate Director will report to the Executive Director, Center for Public Health.
- Execute a comprehensive communication, marketing, and thought leadership strategy for the Center for Public Health, including traditional media, social media, outreach, etc.
- Develop and execute distribution and promotion of the Center for Public Health’s project-specific work products to targeted and broad audiences and determine where broad dissemination or specific outreach is needed,
- Drive content generation and messages for thought leadership pieces, including opinion pieces, blogs, white papers, etc., and work with Milken Institute Marketing and Communications (M&C) team on placement and promotion,
- Identify opportunities for original research where there is significant interest in the community and support coordination with the Center for Public Health program directors in planning and publishing of research and findings,
- Manage development of key communications tools, including collateral, case studies, etc.,
- Manage content development for the Center for Public Health’s digital presence, including website and social media,
- Effectively translate and communicate technical work to the public audiences,
- Liaise with external agencies and firms to support project-specific campaigns including public affairs campaigns, as needed,
- Support establishment and management of strategic relationships with key M&C stakeholders (i.e., media contacts, etc.),
- Identify opportunities for co-creation of content with other MI centers, fellows, experts, etc.
- Monitor public health trends and coverage of them in trade press and media,
- Evolve the Center for Public Health’s messaging, branding, and identity in line with overall MI updated identity,
- Support development presentation materials for the Center for Public Health’s leadership speaking engagements, and
- Support proposal development and business development efforts, as needed.
- Education to graduate level preferred,
- At least 6 years of relevant work experience (experience in communications or marketing in the fields of healthcare, public health, medical research, philanthropy, or social impact),
- Deep understanding of the target audience and effective communications channels,
- Knowledge of peer organizations to best position the Center for Public Health amidst the changing landscape,
- Excellent writing skills, both for traditional and digital content (technical writing experience is a plus),
- A strong personal network of health related media contacts,
- Strong interpersonal and client relationship/customer service skills,
- Superior project management skills with ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines,
- Personal attitude that includes being outgoing, entrepreneurial, action-oriented, flexible, with a willingness to adapt to changing situations and having a good sense of humor,
- High intellectual capacity that can be and has been applied to learning new fields, and
- High level of computer proficiency, including Microsoft Office, Adobe, and other web-based communications tools.
Working Conditions & Travel Requirements
This position will work in a professional office environment. This person will also be required to travel occasionally to other offices and/or venues to assist with events as needed, requiring occasional work outside of traditional hours. International along with domestic travel is possible.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
Please submit a cover letter and resume - all applications materials should be attached as PDF files. Any application that does not include both a cover letter and a resume saved as PDFs will be rejected.