Senior Associate, Global Programming
The Senior Associate for Global Programming within the Events Department will be part of the dynamic team that is responsible for helping ensure the success of all of the Milken Institute’s events by providing the highest quality of content. He or she will help support the creation of compelling and engaging programming and facilitate the growth of a powerful global brand for the Institute. The successful candidate will bring organization, attention to detail, and creativity to bear, adding value to the Institute’s programmatic reputation and event execution.
A globally focused, publicly supported, non-partisan and nonprofit think tank headquartered in Santa Monica, California, the Milken Institute’s mission is to build meaningful lives by increasing global prosperity and advancing collaborative solutions that widen access to capital, create jobs and improve health.
The Institute’s events and programming activities, which generate the majority of its revenue, involve the exchange of ideas with leaders from around the world. The annual Global Conference brings together 5000 participants from around the world including more than 800 speakers over the course of 200 sessions.
Primary responsibilities will include:
• Research: Perform research on global challenges, technology trends, medical research, capital markets, job creation, and other timely topics that are reflected throughout Institute events to help fine-tune programmatic focus and speaker talking points. Research and identify industry leaders, social entrepreneurs, innovative corporate executives, leading researchers, and public influencers to complement the high-level speaker list and fill gaps where additional perspectives are needed.
• Materials: Assist in the drafting and editing of speaker invitation materials for Global Programming team, including research on the expertise of target principals and identifying direct/secondary paths of communication to speaker offices. Prepare and design supporting documents sent to speakers to support a seamless engagement experience – including session-specific briefing materials, custom itineraries, etc.
• Administration: Support inter- and intradepartmental communications to ensure deadlines are met for relevant deliverables. Keep digital records and Institute CRM up to date with accurate and thorough speaker information. Maintain collaborative working documents within the programming department and across teams as needed. Support year-round events by serving as a liaison between Washington DC-based centers and Santa Monica headquarters related to both programming and operational event needs.
• Event execution: Attend and staff Institute events as needed to support the Global Programming team and assist with speaker greeting, escorting, and the execution of a timely program.
• Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred, with a concentration in one or more of the following: public affairs, political science, economics, finance, international affairs, and/or nonprofit management.
• An interest and in-depth understanding of current industry trends, international affairs, financial markets, and global developments.
• Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
• An attitude of "no job is too small" and laser-sharp attention to detail
• Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word required. Experience with Salesforce preferred.
• A team-oriented individual who seeks out tasks when work is completed and assists colleagues to ensure goals, requirements and deadlines are achieved
• Multitasker able to handle complex projects in a fast-paced environment, requiring the ability to effectively prioritize and respond promptly to internal requests
• Innovative problem-solver who can generate and coordinate workable solutions
• Motivated self-starter and hard worker displaying high productivity and follow-through in all areas of responsibility
• The ability to interact professionally with government officials, corporate leaders, dignitaries, and other global policy leaders.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills; an entrepreneurial attitude