Director, Food, Nutrition, & Sustainability
CENTER FOR PUBLIC HEALTH (CPH)
The Center for Public Health (CPH) is a part of the Milken Institute, a non-profit, nonpartisan think tank determined to increase global prosperity by advancing collaborative solutions that widen access to capital, create jobs, and improve health. CPH focuses in four areas of public health: (1) food, nutrition, and sustainability, (2) chronic disease prevention and treatment, (3) mental health and wellness, and (4) health emergencies and preparedness. CPH promotes understanding of leading public health issues such as the opioid epidemic, the changing food system, and rising rates of obesity and diabetes and develops innovative, market-based solutions. More specifically, we do this through independent, data-driven research, action-oriented meetings, and meaningful programs and policy work.
ABOUT THE POSITION
We are in the midst of a food revolution fueled by shifting consumer preferences, emerging nutrition science, geopolitical shifts, environmental concerns, and health crises. Sitting at the intersection of finance and health, the Milken Institute is uniquely situated to serve as a catalyst at this pivotal moment.
CPH’s “Feeding Change” program is at the forefront of the effort to advance health by improving access, affordability, and quality of food worldwide. We do this by developing legislative and corporate policies, fostering partnerships and investment in new innovations, and helping to foster a culture of health.
Working closely and reporting to CPH’s Executive Director with consultation from the Senior Advisor on Food, Nutrition, and Sustainability, the Director will help grow CPH’s food, nutrition, and sustainability efforts (including the current Feeding Change program) to improve the health of individuals and communities.
- Identify and research leading issues in the food, nutrition, and sustainability spaces
- Work with the Executive Director and Senior Advisor in executing against actionable goals and performance measures for the Center
- Develop the Feeding Change Program with the Executive Director and the Senior Advisor
- Build relationships with industry, government, non-profit, academia, technology, philanthropy, and other leaders who are influential in this space
- Contribute to CPH’s public health thought leadership through research reports, articles & internal updates, and more
- Deliver on the strategic priorities of the Center to advance policy objectives
- Develop and execute an advocacy education plan to support needed policy changes
- Help execute high-profile events (both public and private) regarding current issues in this space
- Assist the Milken Institute development team to seek and garner strategic partnerships for our work and events
- Collaborate with various Centers and Departments at the Institute to create a strong and clear Milken Institute brand in the food space
- Liaise with any supporters or funders of our work and provide detailed and timely report outs of our work
- Compiling, processing, analyzing, and visualizing data for presentation materials and program collateral
- Keep the team informed and updated on the developments and trends with food, nutrition and sustainability
We’re looking for professionals who are:
- Analytical, creative and rigorous thinkers: Detail-oriented and flexible problem solver. Can synthesize diverse streams of information and switch comfortably between academic and real world thinking
- Roll-up-your-sleeves executers: Comfortable with engaging in new and nebulous projects. Comfortable with proposing an approach upfront while constantly refining along the way
- Team players: Collaborate well with multidisciplinary teams, comfortably taking leadership when necessary as well as following directions
- 6 or more years of experience in food, nutrition, or sustainability efforts such as with an industry leader, government agency, or non-profit
- Knowledge and passion for healthcare, food, and environmental sustainability
- Minimum BA or BS (MPH, MD, NP, PhD preferred)
- Excellent writing, editing, and analytical skills
- Attention to detail and high standards of excellence
- Experience supporting high level executives
- Excellent organizational skills and the willingness and ability to organize multiple, ongoing events is critical
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
Please submit a cover letter and resume - all applications materials should be attached as PDF files. Any application that does not include both a cover letter and a resume saved as PDFs will be rejected.