Associate Director, FasterCures
FasterCures is a Center of the Milken Institute, a global non-profit organization. Today, there are approximately 10,000 known diseases affecting our world; we have treatments for about 500 of them. The current system to discover and develop those treatments is complex, siloed, imperfect, and not aligned with the needs and wants of patients. Much of the inefficiency is entrenched. At FasterCures, we envision a system that is run effectively and driven by patient needs. We envision a system where the potential of transformative science is fully realized through the right incentives, bringing better and faster treatments to the people who need them.
We define and map current and emerging barriers that slow medical treatments, finding the areas of challenge, and proposing more patient-serving solutions. We address the following types of barriers to an optimal biomedical system: policy barriers, market disincentives, and areas of where a lack of leadership slows progress. Finally, because we know we cannot do this alone, we engage and catalyze our network to take on these important challenges.
The Associate Director is primarily responsible for supporting the mission of FasterCures by assisting with managing and executing large work streams and projects for the organization. The role also includes representing FasterCures at conferences and meetings and supporting events programming. The Associate Director will work with internal staff to bring FasterCures’ programs to targeted external audiences and building communities around our areas of focus to move from ideas to implementation.
- Executing key work streams, managing competing priorities, and overseeing day-to-day production and delivery of work
- Leading at least one project within program, including content development, relationship building & management, requesting support of other staff, liaising with communications, etc.
- Writing for internal and external audiences – including white papers, blogposts, research summaries, grant applications/reports, promotional materials, etc.
- Assisting with event production for both small workshops & large scale conferences; includes suggesting speakers & topics, live-tweeting event, staffing speaker room, writing summary blogs, etc.
- Developing knowledge expertise in biomedical innovation and related fields, including: patient engagement, health data, digital health, RWE, etc.
- Representing FasterCures at conferences, meetings, workshops; Often with presentation or speaking role
- Manage Associate & Intern staff – including regular check ins with Associates & Interns, Director staff; provide professional development opportunities; manage workloads of supervised staff; conduct performance assessment and aid in establishing & tracking goals
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree a plus
- 5 to 7 years successful experience in health and medical research related field that include conducting analysis, writing and synthesizing external research
- At least 3 years’ experience in public health, health policy, patient engagement, health care investing, data sharing, product approval, or medical research related fields
- Ability to engage external audiences and stakeholders, and skilled day-to-day project management
- Excellent project management, problem-solving, organization, and communication skills
- Self-starter with strong willingness to take initiative, make executive decisions, and accept constructive feedback
- Comfortable with public speaking, either in small meeting setting or for large audiences
- Quick learner & user of multiple technology platforms (Salesforce, Wrike, Smartsheet, Skype)
- Availability for overnight travel approximately 3-5 times per year.
Working Conditions & Travel Requirements
This position will work in a professional office environment. This person will also be required to travel occasionally to other offices and/or venues to assist with events as needed, requiring occasional work outside of traditional hours. International along with domestic travel is possible.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
Please submit a cover letter and resume - all applications materials should be attached as PDF files. Any application that does not include both a cover letter and a resume saved as PDFs will be rejected.