The Modernizing Middle East: Crossroads of the World (Invite Only)
Monday, May 1, 2017 / 9:30 am - 10:30 am
, Political Adviser, Counter-Terrorism & Counter-Piracy Focal Point, OIC Focal Point Permanent Mission of Saudi Arabia to the United Nations
, Acting Assistant Secretary of State, Near East Affairs Bureau, U.S. Department of State
, Founder and Group Chief Executive, The Abraaj Group
The Middle East plays an increasingly important role in the flow of world trade and ideas. With oil markets weaker, economic reforms accelerating and GDP growth steady, there is renewed interest in engaging this market. This session will explore the key themes in the region driving trade and enabling growth in a post-oil world. Key questions:
- What is the future potential of the Middle East as a crossroads of trade and logistics, but even more so of people, global ideas and services?
- How will geopolitical risk impact the region's upward trajectory and global connectivity?
- What will the impact of strategic decisions such as the Aramco IPO be on global markets?
- What is the promise of recent investments in health R&D?
- How will the emergence of FinTech in the region affect economic growth?