Giving Smarter (and Stronger) on #GivingTuesday
End-of-year holiday giving is a great time to focus your philanthropic dollars, whether you want to give to your local school, your favorite disease research foundation, or advocacy group, here are some questions to ask yourself to improve your return on philanthropy:
1. As you find your focus:
- What is the ambitious change I passionately want to see in this world?
- Do my philanthropy, energy, and insights align with my cause?
2. As you set your strategy:
- What are the root causes of the problem, and what’s holding back progress?
- What are the unique opportunities for philanthropic investment to catalyze change?
3. As you make a gift:
- What is the best way to structure my gift to ensure the funding is used most effectively?
- Is an outright gift the right vehicle, or should I consider making a social impact investment?
4. As you measure impact:
- How do I know if my gift made a difference?
- Did the team make the progress it should have?
Make sure to check some of these Philanthropy Advisory Service resources to learn how to make your gift count:
- PAS site
- Giving Smarter + Getting Started
- Video: The Catalyst for Change: What’s Working in Philanthropy – and What’s Not?
- Collaborative Capital
"Philanthropy is far more than just writing checks. It takes an entrepreneurial approach that seeks out best practices and empowers people to change the world." - Michael Milken, Chairman, Milken Institute