FasterCures is a Center of the Milken Institute, a global non-profit organization. Today, there are approximately 10,000 known diseases affecting our world; we have treatments for about 500 of them. The current system to discover and develop those treatments is complex, siloed, imperfect, and not aligned with the needs and wants of patients. Much of the inefficiency is entrenched. At FasterCures, we envision a system that is run effectively and driven by patient needs. We envision a system where the potential of transformative science is fully realized through the right incentives, bringing better and faster treatments to the people who need them.
We define and map current and emerging barriers that slow medical treatments, finding the areas of challenge, and proposing more patient-serving solutions. We address the following types of barriers to an optimal biomedical system: policy barriers, market disincentives, and areas of where a lack of leadership slows progress. Finally, because we know we cannot do this alone, we engage and catalyze our network to take on these important challenges.
The Associate is primarily responsible for supporting the mission of FasterCures by assisting with research, supporting events, and aiding staff. The associate will work primarily with internal audiences and occasionally with external audiences to help solve challenges around identifying roadblocks to medical research and access to innovation for patients.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Supports staff in conducting both qualitative and quantitative research on key topics in biomedical research, regulatory approval, and payment policies that impact innovation both in the US and globally.
- Conducts desktop research to support development of publications and presentations for both internal and external audiences.
- Provides logistical support of events that engage key external thought leaders, including identification of potential attendees and presenters, outreach, and background research on related content.
- Creates materials for internal and external events and meetings, including but not limited to agendas, participant lists/bios, tracking for external engagements, etc.
- Develops ideas and builds relationships for potential outreach, programming, and convenings.
- Adheres to the Institute’s mission, policies, and general safety practices, including any unique safety practices for the department and/or building.
- Safeguards and keeps any information, observations, or viewpoints regarding Institute business and employee matters confidential.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Have ability to manage multiple projects and work assignments from a variety of staff.
- Have ability to manage multiple tasks and relationships with minimal supervision.
- Have ability to meet deadlines.
- Utilize problem solving skills.
- Use proper English spelling, grammar, punctuation, and diction.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Use proper communication style and customer service methods over the phone and in-person with high professionalism.
- Expert user in Microsoft Suite 2007 or higher (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
Experience & Training
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 1-3 years “hands-on” experience with above technologies in an office environment.
- Interest in public health, health policy, patient engagement, data sharing, or medical research related fields.
- Brilliant troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Able to work occasional nights and weekends as needed.
- Desire to work in a challenging, fast-paced environment.
Working Conditions & Travel Requirements
This position will work in a professional office environment. This person will also be required to travel occasionally to other offices and/or venues to assist with events as needed, requiring occasional work outside of traditional hours. International along with domestic travel is possible.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
Please submit a cover letter and resume - all applications materials should be attached as PDF files. Any application that does not include both a cover letter and a resume saved as PDFs will be rejected.