Director of Development
About the Position
The Director of Development works closely with the MRA Board of Directors and the President and CEO in developing and achieving annual fundraising goals. The position is responsible for building and maintaining a robust development program that works with major donors, events, industry partners, and corporate and community foundations. The position will ensure maintaining strong relationships with existing donors, seeking to grow their investment, while at the same time expanding the base. The position is full-time and may be based either in the MRA offices in Washington DC or in affiliated offices in New York City and will require up to 50% time spent on travel.
The position oversees the day-to-day operations of the Development Team which also includes an Associate Director for Development & Information Management, and a Development Associate.
The mission of the Melanoma Research Alliance is to end suffering and death due to melanoma by collaborating with all stakeholders to accelerate powerful research, advance cures for all patients and prevent more melanomas. MRA has awarded more than $101 million to melanoma research programs around the globe, leveraged an additional $36 million, and fostered more than $154 million in follow-on funding. MRA was launched in 2007 by Debra and Leon Black under the auspices of the Milken Institute, and, due to the ongoing support of our founders, 100% of every donation to MRA goes directly to melanoma research.
- Designing and implementing a strategic fundraising plan that secures financial support for MRA programs and activities from individuals, corporations, academic institutions and foundations;
- Laying the groundwork for short and long-range fund development plans and implementing programs that support the organization's values and mission including a focus on expanding the donor base;
- Prospecting of individuals, corporations and foundations to identify potential new investors;
- Work with industry and corporations to support cause-marketing that can generate support for MRA’s work;
- Work with pharma and biotechs to generate research support and sponsorship for MRA’s annual scientific retreat;
- Nurturing loyalty in partners, stakeholders, potential donors, and donors through a comprehensive relationship-building program including cultivation and communications;
- Developing fundraising proposals and grant requests as needed to individuals, corporations and foundations, and ensuring all reporting requirements are met related to donor investment;
- Managing the successful execution of fund-raising events;
- Representing MRA with key external audiences at various events, conferences, and meetings; and
- Working with the communications staff to ensure that web resources, MRA collateral, and other products optimize development opportunities.
- Undergraduate degree is expected, advanced degree a plus
- Minimum ten years of fundraising experience gained within a nonprofit; corporate or private foundation; political campaign environment; higher education or medical/healthcare institution or high-level consultative selling experience in a professional services organization;
- Experience in working with high net worth individuals to advance fund-raising results;
- Proven track record of measurable fundraising results;
- Comprehensive knowledge of fundraising strategies;
- Strong oral and written communications skills;
- Knowledge of donor/prospect research and available tools;
- Working knowledge Salesforce or comparable constituent relations management (CRM) package;
- Outstanding interpersonal, team and diplomatic skills;
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and function effectively in a matrixed entity;
- Entrepreneurial approach to problem-solving; and
- Successfully complete a security background check.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
Please submit a cover letter and resume - all applications materials should be attached as PDF files. Any application that does not include both a cover letter and a resume saved as PDFs will be rejected.