The Milken Institute is seeking a Director of Business and Program Development in either New York or Los Angeles to support the Institute’s fundraising goals. For the candidate with exceptional organizational skills, strategic thinking and execution, extraordinary work ethic and drive to achieve, this is an opportunity to become a key player in an entrepreneurial, growing and dynamic global organization involved in some of the most important global issues.
A globally focused, publicly supported, non-partisan and nonprofit think tank headquartered in Santa Monica, California, the Milken Institute’s mission is to build meaningful lives by increasing global prosperity and advancing collaborative solutions that widen access to capital, create jobs and improve health.
The Institute’s events and programming activities, which generate the majority of its revenue, involve the exchange of ideas with leaders from around the world. The annual Global Conference brings together 4000 participants from around the world including more than 700 speakers over the course of 170 sessions.
The Milken Institute is supported by contributions from a network of global partners including individuals, corporations and foundations to advance its mission and relies on sponsorships and Strategic Partnerships from corporate, governmental, economic and philanthropic organizations to underwrite its events and conferences.
This position requires a working knowledge of the financial sector and established relationships with senior leaders in business, finance and philanthropy, a commitment to positive change, and a strong entrepreneurial streak. The right candidate will add value to an extraordinary portfolio of relationships, with global financial institutions, corporate, investment and foundation leaders and members of the philanthropic community, to expand the Institute's network, reach, resources and social impact. The role will work closely with various departments including events, communications and MI Centers, and across offices in Santa Monica, New York and Washington, D.C.
Candidates should possess the following characteristics:
- Demonstrated, consistent success in fundraising, sales and/or business development.
- Exceptional reputation for integrity, intelligence, wisdom and judgment.
- Proven ability to create, maintain and deepen relationships with the highest echelon of leaders in finance and business and close financial gifts.
- Outstanding oral and written communication abilities - both one-to-one and one-to-many.
- Ability to identify, prioritize and assist in the development of content that resonates with senior investment professionals and corporate leaders.
- Passion, enthusiasm and drive that align internal and external stakeholders around an ambitious mission and vision.
- Extraordinary work ethic and drive to achieve.
- As this position requires working with a global team, flexibility to be available for conference calls outside of regular working hours is required.
- Powerful intellectual curiosity that keeps the candidate ahead on substantive topics and challenges in the principal areas of focus for the Institute. Knowledge of and interest in sectors vital to the global economy such as healthcare, economic development, and current events are desirable.
- Willingness to travel.
- Familiarity with event production; the power to communicate with and focus high level groups of business people, policymakers, investors, innovators and academics on complex issues and potential solutions. An attitude of "no job is too small" and an attention to detail that ensures rewarding experiences and outcomes for attendees, supporters and other stakeholders.
- For the candidate with vision, drive and the talent to effect positive change, this is an opportunity to become a key player in an entrepreneurial, growing and dynamic global organization.
- Technically savvy and proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint); Salesforce experience a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
Please submit a cover letter and resume - all applications materials should be attached as PDF files.