Associate Director, Opportunity Zone Project
The Center for Financial Markets (CFM) is a part of the Milken Institute, a non-profit, nonpartisan think tank determined to increase global prosperity by advancing collaborative solutions that widen access to capital, create jobs and improve health. CFM promotes financial market understanding and works to expand access to capital, strengthen—and deepen—financial markets, and develop innovative financial solutions to the most pressing global challenges. More specifically, we do this through independent, data-driven research, action-oriented meetings and meaningful policy initiatives.
ABOUT THE POSITION
CFM’s Access to Capital program has been at the forefront of identifying and promoting evidence-based public policy that advances efficient and equitable access to capital for America’s entrepreneurs. The 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act established Opportunity Zones to encourage investment in low- to moderate-income communities through Qualified Opportunity Funds, fueled by tax incentives. CFM is exploring the challenges and opportunities regarding the implementation of Opportunity Zones and Qualified Opportunity Funds with a focus on best practices to maximize potential impact.
Reporting to CFM’s Director, the Associate Director will be responsible for:
- Assisting in developing and executing research and a policy agenda for the Opportunity Zone program, collaborating internally and externally with thought leaders, policymakers, and practitioners;
- Initiating policy development by researching various relevant policy areas, identifying thought leaders in the field, and remaining abreast of recent writing in relevant areas;
- Compiling, processing, analyzing, and visualizing data to feed into published materials;
- Serving as an internal resource on relevant federal, state, and local policy issues and best practices;
- Providing periodic written updates and summaries of research findings and latest writings in defined policy issue areas;
- Playing a lead role with writing, editing, and cite-checking discussion papers; and
- Creating meeting materials as necessary for target audiences.
We’re looking for professionals who are:
- Analytical, creative and rigorous thinkers: Detail-oriented and flexible problem solver. Can synthesize diverse streams of information and switch comfortably between academic and real world thinking;
- Roll-up-your-sleeves executers: Comfortable with engaging in new and nebulous projects. Comfortable with proposing an approach upfront while constantly refining along the way; and
- Team players: Collaborate well with multidisciplinary teams, comfortably taking leadership when necessary as well as following directions.
- Masters or advanced degree in public policy, finance, business, law, real estate, or economics preferred;
- Strong academic performance required;
- Knowledge of finance or financial markets;
- At least 4 years' experience in a relevant field preferred;
- Research, analytical, and financial modeling skills;
- Excellent writing and editing skills;
- Demonstrated overall communication skills, and excellent interpersonal skills;
- Attention to detail and high standards of excellence;
- Excellent organizational skills and the willingness and ability to organize multiple, ongoing events is critical;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook;
- Experience working in multicultural environments; and
- Have the necessary authorizations to work in the United States of America.
The Milken Institute offers an excellent benefits program including medical/dental, LTD, Life, Flex Spending Program, 403(b) tax-deferred retirement savings plan, and company gym. E.O.E.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
To apply, please submit your information and upload your cover letter and resume and short writing sample. All application materials should be attached as PDF files. Any application that does not include both a cover letter and a resume saved as PDFs will be rejected. Applicants will be assessed on a rolling basis.