Associate Director, Data Scientist
The Center for Financial Markets (CFM) is a part of the Milken Institute, a non-profit, nonpartisan think tank determined to increase global prosperity by advancing collaborative solutions that widen access to capital, create jobs and improve health. CFM promotes financial market understanding and works to expand access to capital, strengthen—and deepen—financial markets, and develop innovative financial solutions to the most pressing global challenges. More specifically, we do this through independent, data-driven research, action-oriented meetings and meaningful policy initiatives.
ABOUT THE POSITION
CFM’s Access to Capital program has been at the forefront of identifying and promoting evidence-based public policy that advances efficient and equitable access to capital for America’s entrepreneurs. Reporting to CFM’s Director, the Associate Director will lead our work in the following areas:
- Leading in the conceptualization and deconstruction of key issues affecting capital access for small- and mid-size firms;
- Identifying, researching, and organizing information to assess the appropriateness and sufficiency of handling large datasets and preparing data stored in various formats;
- Developing, performing, and supervising data-based structured analysis and ensure integrity and accuracy of analyses;
- Designing complex financial and economic models to analyze key data using programming, model building, and/or regression analysis;
- Independently leading in the development of written products (op-eds, blogs, policy briefs, whitepapers, and in-depth research assignments); and
- Contributing to the presentation of key findings at public speaking engagements and industry conferences.
We’re looking for professionals who are:
- Analytical, creative and rigorous thinkers: Detail-oriented and flexible problem solver. Can synthesize diverse streams of information and switch comfortably between academic and real world thinking;
- Qualitative and quantitative data scientists: Fluent in the use of statistical, econometric, data mining, and visualization techniques to understand, model, draw insights, and identify opportunities from complex problems;
- Roll-up-your-sleeves executers: Comfortable with engaging in new and nebulous projects;
- Pragmatic ambassadors: Can build high-profile stakeholder relationships while upholding the Milken Institute’s reputation as a nonpartisan and neutral arbiter of best practices; and
- Team players: Collaborate well with multidisciplinary teams, comfortably taking leadership when necessary as well as following directions as needed.
- At least 4 years of relevant experience in one or more of the following areas: applied macroeconomics, applied microeconomics, econometrics, corporate finance, financial accounting, investment banking, and/or statistics;
- Advanced degree preferred (PHD, MS, MA, MBA or JD in economics, finance or a related concentration);
- Experienced in taking ownership of end-to-end project conception, setup, management, and execution of complex quantitative analysis;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Expert level financial modeling experience;
- Expert level knowledge of statistical analysis programs (such as Stata, SAS, R, and Python);
- Experience working in multicultural environments;
- Previous experience in teaching, research, and/or consulting is desirable; and
- Have the necessary authorizations to work in the United States of America.
The Milken Institute offers an excellent benefits program including medical/dental, LTD, Life, Flex Spending Program, 403(b) tax-deferred retirement savings plan, and company gym. E.O.E.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
To apply, please submit your information and upload your cover letter, resume and short writing sample. All application materials should be attached as PDF files. Any application that does not include both a cover letter and a resume saved as PDFs will be rejected. Applicants will be assessed on a rolling basis.