The Milken Institute’s mission is to increase global prosperity by advancing collaborative solutions that widen access to capital, create jobs, and improve health. FasterCures, a center of the Milken Institute, has the singular mission of saving lives by saving time through addressing the challenges facing medical research. The Milken Institute is headquartered in Santa Monica, Calif., and FasterCures is located in its office in Washington, D.C.
The Senior Director is primarily responsible for supporting the mission of FasterCures by overseeing and informing the daily work and execution of the organization’s mission across a diverse array of projects and staff. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Senior Director will be the primary interface to key Milken Institute functional departments (such as communications, development, and operations) to ensure fiscal and operational excellence and external brand recognition. In addition, the Senior Director will oversee strategic partnerships with external organizations, advisors, and other Milken Institute centers. Finally, this role will also oversee complex and multi-year projects and will be a visible external spokesperson for the organization.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage overall day-to-day operations to ensure fiscal and operational excellence
- Engage with Executive Director and Marketing & Communications teams to promote FasterCures' work externally
- Lead interface with Development to determine potential donors and engage strategic partners
- Support Executive Director to engage external partners – Advisory Board, fellows, etc. – in bi-annual meetings and day-to-day interactions.
- Lead strategic work on behalf of FasterCures, including project conceptualization, budget and management oversight, and delivery of high-quality outputs
- Represent FasterCures to policymakers and for-profit and non-profit partners
- Adhere to the Institute’s mission, policies, and general safety practices, including any unique safety practices for the department and/or building
- Safeguard and keep any information, observations, or viewpoints regarding Institute business and employee matters confidential
- Other duties as assigned
- Expert user in Microsoft Suite 2007 or higher (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Strong management and matrix working skills
- Comfort in speaking publicly and to media
- Ability to conceptualize and oversee multiple projects and work assignments
Experience & Training
- Bachelor’s degree required, master's degree a plus
- Minimum 10 years experience in one or more of the following areas: health policy, medical research, and/or public health
- Experience in fundraising and/or business development
- Preference for individuals with previous leadership experience in non-profits, specifically patient organizations
- Comfort in working with remote staff
- Brilliant troubleshooting skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Able to work occasional nights and weekends as needed
- Desire to work in a challenging, fast-paced environmen.
- Ability to travel at least 30 percent of time, including global travel and travel to Santa Monica
Working Conditions & Travel Requirements
This position will work in a professional office environment. This person will also be required to travel occasionally to other offices and/or venues to assist with events as needed. International along with domestic travel is possible.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.