2018 Internship Program: Singapore
About the Milken Institute
The Milken Institute is a nonprofit, non-partisan think tank with offices in Singapore, Santa Monica, California, Washington, D.C., and London. Its mission is to improve lives around the world by advancing collaborative solutions that widen access to capital, create jobs and improve health.
We do this through independent, evidence-based research, action-oriented meetings and meaningful policy initiatives. Please visit our website for more information. http://www.milkeninstitute.org
About the Role
The candidate will be based in Singapore and assist the Senior Associate and Director for Policy and Programs in a number of projects. The projects center around innovative finance to promote financial solutions to overcome economic and social challenges, research into current trends to inform the private and public sector on policy gaps and the potential implications and solutions, and to convene action-oriented meetings and conferences. The candidate will organize research/datasets, manage lists of stakeholders, plan for field research and convenings with policymakers and subject-matter experts, and complete routine administrative tasks.
We’re looking for candidates who are:
- Analytical, creative and rigorous thinkers: You are a detail- oriented and flexible problem solver. You examine and synthesize diverse streams of information across disciplines, switch comfortably between academic and real-world thinking and communicate succinctly in plain writing.
- Roll-up-your-sleeves executers: You are comfortable working on concurrent projects, engaging in new and nebulous projects, and proposing an approach upfront while constantly refining along the way. You are self-motivated, disciplined and respect deadlines.
- Team players: You collaborate well with multidisciplinary and multicultural teams, comfortably taking leadership when necessary as well as following directions. You value rigorous discussion, consultation, and communication.
The Researcher will be a member of the Asia Center based in Singapore and report to the Director for Policy and Programs. He/she will be offered a one-year contract that may be renewed based on his/her performance. The Researcher will work closely with the research staff, interns as well as the wider Milken Institute when needed.
- A demonstrated interest in policy analysis/research, and an advanced degree in global/economic development, finance, economics, international relations (with a development focus), public policy or public administration, or a related concentration.
- Background in one or more of the following: public health, economic development, or similar fields.
- Experience working or living in Asia. Proficiency in English and one or more Asian languages.
- Willing to travel occasionally.