About the Center for Strategic Philanthropy
Philanthropic capital is a growing and powerful economic force–particularly in the United States, where Americans donate more than $390 billion annually. At the same time, we are all on the cusp of the greatest intergenerational transfer of wealth ever, with $30 trillion poised to be transferred to heirs over the next 30-40 years. Given the stakes, it is imperative that this capital be invested as wisely as possible.
The Milken Institute Center for Strategic Philanthropy (CSP) believes philanthropy has the opportunity and obligation to take on big risks to test bold ideas. We conduct deep due diligence across a range of issue areas, promote creative and well-informed giving strategies, and advise families and foundations on where and how to channel their philanthropy to maximize a return on their investment.
As systems thinkers, we pull back and examine the entire picture. We leverage the world class convening power of the Milken Institute to assemble the best thinkers to examine root causes and identify the right leverage points to effect positive and lasting change. Currently, our work focuses on advancing medical innovation, protecting environmental assets, and building robust education models.
Further, we build communities of like-minded, forward-thinking philanthropists, create a marketplace of innovative giving practices, forge greater awareness of high-impact investment opportunities, and connect promising ideas with action and capital in order to tackle some of the world’s most pressing social challenges.
Senior Associate Overview
The Milken Institute is looking for a talented professional to support the development of a new program that builds a community of strategic philanthropists and promotes innovations in the philanthropic sector. The Senior Associate will work with senior staff at CSP to launch and execute this program and will be responsible for conducting due diligence, drafting thought leadership and giving tools, and coordinating regular convening of a network of philanthropists. A successful candidate will able to:
- Work with CSP team members to build an active affinity network of strategic donors by developing and executing a schedule of engaging and educational interactions;
- Manage listening tour with philanthropy experts and innovators to identify bottlenecks / gaps and potential solutions to improve philanthropic impact;
- Analyze inputs and support creation of periodic reports that assess the philanthropic sector;
- Curate giving resources and work with Milken Institute team to develop new tools and resources to inform and enable strategic philanthropy;
- Construct program implementation timelines, work plans, and project management structures;
- Interact and manage relationships with high-level donors, subject matter experts, and advisors;
- Conduct literature review and in-depth research on philanthropic trends and innovations;
- Support business development, outreach, and expansion opportunities, as needed.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience;
- Education to graduate level is a plus;
- Excellent research and writing capabilities;
- Familiarity with trends and actors in the philanthropy ecosystem;
- High intellectual capacity that can be and has been applied to learning new fields;
- Personal attitude that includes being outgoing, entrepreneurial, action-oriented, flexible, with a willingness to adapt to changing situations and have a good sense of humor;
- Sophistication in interacting with senior level donors and stakeholders;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and
- Solid program planning and project management skills.
About the Milken Institute
The Milken Institute is a globally engaged, publicly supported, non-partisan, nonprofit think tank with offices in Santa Monica, California, Washington, D.C., London, and Singapore. Its mission is to improve lives around the world by advancing innovative economic and policy solutions that create jobs, widen access to capital and enhance health. The Milken Institute offers an excellent benefit package including medical/dental, LTD, Life, Flex Spending Program, 403(b) tax-deferred retirement savings plan, and company gym. E.O.E.
To apply, please submit your information and upload your cover letter and resume.