Associate, Center for Strategic Philanthropy
Philanthropy is much more than charity – it’s a profound commitment to understanding the needs of society and then rolling up your sleeves to help get it done.
Mike Milken – The Milken Institute
The Milken Institute Center for Strategic Philanthropy (CSP) is looking for an Associate to support its programs and external affairs efforts to help transform the philanthropic sector by making it more impactful, innovative and creative. This is a great position for someone who is in the early part of their career and eager to learn more about philanthropy and social change.
We are looking for someone who is energetic, resourceful, has a good sense of humor, thrives when working on a team, has social media savvy, and is willing to take on a range of tasks (no matter how big/small and no matter how boring/exciting). Strong writing skills and people management skills are a must. Digital design or media relations skills would be a real plus. The position is based in Washington D.C.
About the Center for Strategic Philanthropy
At CSP, we recognize that philanthropy has the opportunity and obligation to take on big risks to test bold ideas. To that end, we conduct deep due diligence across a range of issue areas, promote creative and well-informed social investment strategies, and advise families and foundations on where and how to channel their philanthropy to maximize a return on their investment.
Social innovation investment is a dynamic and fast growing market. Since the turn of the 21st century, there has been an unprecedented growth in social enterprises, foundations and individual philanthropists alike. In 2015, total giving to charitable organizations in the U.S. was $373.25 billion or 2.1 percent of GDP. 2015 is the sixth straight year that giving has increased, and the second straight record-setting year, following 2014’s total of $358.38 billion. And these trends are expected to continue, given that we are on the cusp of the greatest intergenerational transfer of wealth ever, with $30 trillion poised to be transferred to heirs over the next 30-40 years.
CSP is working to make this influx of philanthropic capital more impactful and transformative. We draw from the deep expertise of the Milken Institute and its world renowned experts, and we apply a systems-based approach to tackle tough challenges like advancing medical solutions, strengthening public health systems, building robust educational models, protecting environmental assets and closing the 21st century skills gap. Our programs include:
- Direct Advising. Our advisory services provide actionable information to evaluate funding opportunities and execute a giving strategy. Expert advisory boards, in-depth due diligence, and objective evaluation shape our analysis.
- Analysis and Insights. Our toolkit of resources provides open access, evidence-based, tactical guidance to help philanthropists through a variety of general giving processes and key considerations.
- Peer Learning Communities. Our engagement opportunities connect philanthropists to nontraditional allies and collaborators, strategies, and tools that can help them to implement strategic philanthropy practices.
- Innovative Giving Structures. We design innovative financing mechanisms that leverage philanthropic investment to provide more sustainable funding streams for solutions.
CSP seeks an Associate to help us implement several projects that will help CSP grow, including developing and supporting philanthropic advisory projects, convenings, and targeted communications of CSP’s overall efforts.
Responsibilities will likely include:
- Conducting background research on hot topics and speakers to inform CSP programming at major Milken Institute events, including its Global Conference and London and Asia Summits
- Curating tools to assist donors in making strategic funding decisions and managing philanthropic investments
- Conducting background research to inform the development of new resources and insights
- Event planning, including assisting with preparation and providing logistical and promotional support of CSP events and activities
- Supporting CSP staff in a variety of activities both administrative and programmatic
- Attending and reporting back on meetings, conferences, symposia and Congressional hearings, as needed
- Developing content for presentation materials and collateral materials
- Contributing to the development and dissemination of the CSP narrative, including creation of digital content and design
- Creating messaging documents and/or backgrounders for various programs, events and presentations
- Creating content, including blog writing and researching for reports and white papers
- Tracking media coverage of relevant philanthropy and social investment issues and players
- Summarizing relevant articles and events on philanthropy trends, suggesting possible opportunities for CSP to elevate its profile
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. (Don’t even apply if you are not a good writer; and be prepared to share a few writing samples.)
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Strong interpersonal and client relationship/customer service skills
- Superior project management skills, including the ability to proactively problem-solve and identify both problems and potential solutions in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to manage multiple demands, projects and deadlines
- High level of computer proficiency, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and web-based communications tools
- Sense of humor is a must, and no whining allowed. You will have fun - but expect to work hard – sometimes with long hours and tight deadlines.
- Media relations
- Digital design