Director, Media Relations
The Milken Institute communications team is seeking a director of media relations to help amplify the Institute’s message and position at the local, national, and international levels. For the candidate with a keen comprehension of the space, extraordinary work ethic, and dynamic ability to influence, this is an opportunity to become a key player in an entrepreneurial and innovative organization involved in solving some of the 21st century’s most pressing challenges.
A globally focused, publicly supported, non-partisan and nonprofit think tank headquartered in Santa Monica, California, the Milken Institute’s mission is to increase global prosperity by advancing collaborative solutions that widen access to capital, create jobs and improve health.
Working with leaders from finance, industry, public policy, philanthropy and the social sector, the Institute conducts research and covenes conferences and meetings designed to discover practical and actionable solutions to cure disease, create jobs, spread opportunity, promote smart conservation and spur economic development.
The director of media relations will work in tandem with the executive director of communications and the Institute’s eight centers to develop the media strategy, monitor the media landscape, identify market themes related to Institute work, and manage the process for release of the Institute’s research and voice. The ideal candidate will perform best in a team environment and have a firm understanding of how to work in parallel with Institute experts to outsize the impact of the Institute’s work.
Primary Responsibilities (not exhaustive):
- Develop a comprehensive media strategy for all research, white papers, blogs, and major and more minor events for the Institute.
- Manage pitches and positioning for all thought leadership at the Institute.
- Liaise with the Institute’s 8 centers to monitor the competitive landscape and develop strategy to successfully engage the media with their work.
- Work alongside the rest of the communications team to create and execute social media campaigns that enhance media outreach.
- Develop and manage professional working relationships with key journalists and outlets.
- Train staff for media appearances; includes coaching on-the-rise thought leaders in the midst of shaping their voices and presentation.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing/communications, public relations, journalism, advertising, public affairs, English or related field
- Minimum of 7 years of media relations experience, preferably in a research and policy intensive environment
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills (framing, writing, editing, proofreading)
- A natural storytelling and story-shaping ability. High importance placed on ability to partner with Institute thought leaders to develop engaging content worthy of local and global media awareness.
- Strong ability to juggle competing, time-sensitive priorities
- Strong relationships with a number of press outlets, preferably in Los Angeles, Washington, D.C., New York, London, and Singapore.
- Able to leverage social media to augment and amplify media relations program.
- Familiarity with CisionPoint, Hootsuite, Google Analytics, Salesforce, Cvent or other communications measurement technology
- Globally-minded quick thinker with an inquisitive nature and desire to learn about the various issue areas in which the Institute engages.