Associate, Programming & Outreach – California Center
The Milken Institute is looking for a Programming & Outreach Associate with experience conducting strategic outreach and relationship management to join our California Center team. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated an interest in identifying and reaching out to media, policy, and business stakeholders and leveraging those relationships into actionable items to address key policy issues facing California.
The Programming & Outreach Associate will work collaboratively both internally and externally to conduct targeted outreach to develop and promote California Center programming with leaders throughout the state. This individual will have a solid understanding of how to apply relationship development to the California Center’s goals to produce impactful and action-oriented events and policy recommendations. Candidates for this position should be able to demonstrate a track record of bringing together key events and smaller meetings while coordinating stakeholders, donors and contact management systems.
The Programming & Outreach Associate will coordinate activities related to a wide range of the Center’s projects and events, including the annual Milken Institute Global Conference, annual California Summit, and other events involving leaders from policy, business, academia, and philanthropy from around the state. Strong organizational and project management abilities are a must.
Finally, the Associate should be prepared to contribute to broad policy, legislative, data research and analytical support across the California Center’s policy areas, including, capital access, human capital development, business climate, infrastructure financing, and coverage of key California industries (manufacturing, tech, entertainment, agriculture, and others).
Based in our Santa Monica headquarters, and interacting with the world’s foremost leaders in economics, business, finance, education, and public policy, the Programming & Outreach Associate role will provide an outstanding opportunity to contribute to influential programming and reports that will be considered by state and federal policymakers and business leaders. .
- Establish and maintain relationships with government officials and business leaders
- Coordinate California Center projects and engagements with internal and external stakeholders
- Help to develop and maintain stakeholder working groups to address key priorities for the Center
- Liaise with our Communications department and work with media outlets to promote the work of the California Center
- Develop impactful programming of varying sizes to advance best practices and policy recommendations
- Work with the California Center team on broader engagements related to state economic and policy impacts
- Responsible for social media messaging and content management across all platforms.
- Undergraduate degree required with 2-5 years’ experience in event planning, communications, development, and/or similar fields
- Demonstrable experience establishing and developing relationships with key policymakers, business leaders, and stakeholders around the state
- Comfort working with media outlets at the local, state, and national levels to promote the work of the California Center
- Familiarity with key policy issues facing California in wide range of industries, including, but not limited to: technology & entertainment, economic development, and government effectiveness
- General analytical know-how and comfort working with data in Excel format a plus
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills with familiarity introducing and promoting key policy issues to a wide range of stakeholders
- Must be a self-starter who takes initiative
- Ability to work as part of a team and perform under deadline pressure
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including PowerPoint
- Precise attention to detail and high standards of excellence