Director, Business Development Administration
The Milken Institute is a globally focused, publicly supported, non-partisan and nonprofit think tank with offices in Santa Monica, California, Washington DC, Singapore and London. The Institute’s mission is to increase global prosperity by advancing collaborative solutions that widen access to capital, create jobs and improve health. Employing the tools of research, convening and collaborating with leaders from finance, industry, public policy, philanthropy and the social sector, the Institute works toward practical and actionable solutions to cure disease, create jobs, spread opportunity, spur economic development and implement energy and environmental practices that promote sustainability.
The Director, Business Development Administration will be responsible for managing the geographically dispersed fundraising and relationship management team. He or she will partner with the Executive Director of Business and Program Development and other senior managers to grow the organization, identify inefficiencies, and build a best in class development function.
The Director, Business Development Administration will report to the Executive Director of Business and Program Development. The Director, Business Development Administration will be based in Los Angeles, California.
The Director, Business Development Administration will:
- Work with the development team to steward an effective and efficient fundraising organization to support the development strategy for the Institute and its Centers.
- Be responsible for the internal fundraising operations, personnel issues, training and development, mentoring and ensuring departmental policies and procedures are followed.
- Assess staffing levels and operational efficiencies.
- Assist in long range and strategic planning to help set budget and fundraising goals and continually analyze the current fund development system and processes.
- Collaborate with all of the centers and departments to ensure that fundraising strategies are cohesive and consistent across the entire organization and all funding needs are met.
- Act as a liaison with other Institute leadership including communications, events and programming.
- Build and maintain relationships with existing donors while cultivating new ones.
- Establish metrics to determine measurable outcomes of all fundraising activities and initiatives.
- Participate in Global Conferences and other events.
- Support the Executive Director of Business and Program Development as needed.
- A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible fundraising or sales experience in a sophisticated, entrepreneurial, not-for-profit or with an organization whose clients are high net worth individuals, foundations or entities similar to that of the Milken Institute;
- A proven track record of managing and coaching development or sales professionals;
- Strong background in fundraising or sales with a network of potential donors; demonstrated experience in developing and selling large sponsorships and general fundraising prowess;
- Proven ability to manage event fundraising timelines and details, track and monitor progress to goals, and keep senior management informed of progress and areas for additional attention;
- Outstanding organizational talents coupled with the ability to balance competing priorities in a fast-paced environment;
- Motivated and innovative self-starter who is team-oriented with a passion for problem-solving;
- Technologically savvy with a solid working knowledge of Salesforce software;
- Outstanding leadership qualities with experience successfully and efficiently hiring, managing, recruiting, and developing a team of development or sales professionals;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the gravitas and sophistication to interact with government officials, corporate leaders, academic experts, and other global policy leaders;
- Unparalleled oral and written communication skills with the ability to translate complicated issues into a clear and concise manner;
- Unquestioned integrity and ethics.
- An undergraduate degree is required.
We offer a supportive work environment where ideas and ingenuity matter. Apply today if you’re ready to grow — and ready to help us make a real impact in the world.
An equal opportunity employer, the Milken Institute provides excellent benefits, including medical/dental, LTD, life insurance, a flex spending program, a retirement savings plan and a company gym.
No phone calls or agencies, please.